Spreadsheet customization for the online itrans page
The online itrans page uses a spreadsheet for converting input text to Unicode characters.
Users can make a copy of the spreadsheet, modify it, and upload it to the online itrans
page, to have the conversion use the modified mappings.
Using your own character mapping
This is a customizable application. The goal is to allow users to provide their own
input to output mapping, by using their own version of the spreadsheet shown above. While
itrans is used for Indic script output, the spreadsheet can be used to for any Unicode
conversion of input text, based on one-to-one mapping of each input code to any string
of Unicode characters.
There is no support available for this tool, other than this document. Knowledge
of web tools and editors is required to modify the default behavior.
In addition to the steps below,
the code can also be copied by looking at the source of this web page, and a local
web page created with input and output text boxes as desired.
- First, make a copy of the default spreadsheet. Either make an online copy,
or download the spreadsheet if you wish to edit it using Excel or LibreOffice or other
- To make a copy: Use the
File → Make a copy ... command.
- Or, download a copy: Use the
File → Download As... command.
- Then, edit your copy of the spreadsheet. The most common changes are to edit the
rows in the
INPUT column so that it uses different input codes.
default spreadsheet for itrans conversion has many cells with notes
that describe the rows and columns in more detail.
In short: make sure each row of the
INPUT has unique codes with no
duplicates. If creating new rows, copy and existing row to make sure it has data
in all the columns.
- Once you have the spreadsheet data as you need it, export or download the spreadsheet
as a tab-separated file. Only tab-separated .tsv files can then be loaded on this web
- Every spreadsheet program has a way to save a spreadsheet in a Tab-Separated format.
In the online Google Spreadsheets for example, use the
File → Download As... command with the
Tab-separated values (.tsv, current sheet).
Destktop spreadsheet programs may have different ways to do this - for example, the
Save As may offer a way to save it in a Tab-Separated format and use a
file extension.. Or there may be an
Export command that offers that.
- The tab-separated text spreadsheet can be loaded using the Load tab-separated spreadsheet with itrans data input field on this page.
- If the spreadsheet has no errors, it will be loaded and a message printed in the section above. If there are errors, it will pop up a dialog box with the error message.
Modifications to the spreadsheet
- The above section outlines the steps to upload a modified spreadsheet. This section
desribes the kinds of changes that can be done. New rows can be added (for new
characters), new columns can be added (for new languages).
- If a new column is added, it will be automatically added to the
drop-down list. Alternately, use
to enter that text in the Enter itrans input: box. See the
Examples present on the online itrans page.
The name of the column for a language name must be of the form
And if the custom spreadsheet has language columns deleted, that will remove
those languages from the drop-down list.
- If a new row is added, make sure the INPUT column entry does not conflict with any
other row. Additionally, if one of the two rows starts with the same character or sequence
of characters as the other, then the longest sequence will be matched.
So if rows
kh exist, then input
kh will always match the longer kh sequence row. Use
in the input to have it match the k row and then the h row instead.
Note: itrans uses a precise mapping of input codes to output code. It is not a phonetic
conversion system, nor is it meant to be. (There are many other systems that do that.)
Itrans is a table-driven, customizable mapping of input words to any Unicode character
The source code for this client-side application is available
at GitHub itrans link.
Please note that no technical support is available for this web page or for the tools on this web page.
If you do find a bug (note that mapping issues may not be bugs, you can modify the mapping
and use a customized spreadsheet as described above), feel free to file it at the
GitHub itrans issues page.