CD Inserts & Envelopes Web Interface
The blockhosts-solution seemed like a really good idea, but that was before I tried to install and use it... ;-)
After quite a lot of experimentation, and some net-browsing and man-reading, the following issues remain:
1. For some reason, all ip's listed in my hosts.deny are denied, irrespective of the '; deny' or ': allow' keyword. This actually makes sense, when I realized that...
2. ...'allow' and 'deny' (actually, the third keyword on a line) are commands that are run. However, on my system such commands do not exist btw.
3. Any ip in hosts.allow is allowed, and also overrides the same ip in hosts.deny, probably because...
4. ...as soon as a match is done in hosts.allow or hosts.deny, nothing more is processed, and if the match was done i hosts.deny, service is denied. Because of this, ...
5. ...blockhost.py cannot be spawned. For if the ip is matched in hosts.deny, the spawn-command further down will be ignored. And if the ip is not matched, the blockhost.py-spawning counts as a match in hosts.deny causing the service to be denied, even if the actual ip was not blacklisted. Catch 22.
Argh... Please, somebody tell me I have misunderstood something and put me back on track!